Tuesday, January 11, 2005

What a way to go!

Preacher Dies During Sermon About Heaven The Rev. Jack Arnold, 69, was nearing the end of his sermon Sunday at Covenant Presbyterian Church in this Orlando suburb when he grabbed the podium before falling to the floor, said the Rev. Michael S. Beates, associate pastor at Covenant Presbyterian. Before collapsing, Arnold quoted the 18th century Bible scholar, John Wesley, who said, "Until my work on this earth is done, I am immortal. But when my work for Christ is done ... I go to be with Jesus," Beates said in a telephone interview.

2 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

That reminds me of the story, no doubt apocryphal because it's variously attributed to Augustine and to Luther. It's said that one of these saints was hoeing in his garden when someone came along with a question. "What would you do if you knew that the world was coming to an end in an hour?" The saint paused, looked at his garden and hoe, and said, "I'd finish this row."

Rev. Arnold finished his row!

SkyDaddy said...

Thanks for the link!

I've got a lot to learn about the capabilities of Blogger. I read somewhere - Captain's Quarters, I think - that trackbacks are a feature of MoveableType, and only work between blogs that use that software. But I admit ignorance. I need to get set up with RSS, and there's this tool called Furl I've heard about.

So much to learn, so little time...