Monday, June 06, 2005

A visit to Iraq's "Devil Worshippers"

Michael Yon : Online Magazine: Lost in Translation

The Yezidi of Kurdish Iraq have a peculiar set of beliefs. While ti incorporates elements of Islam, Hinduism, perhaps Zoroastrianism, and honors Jesus and Mohammed as wise men, their ancient cosmology includes a fallen angel who is the ruler of this world. As noted below, they want to preserve their cultural identity and have the freedom to practice their religion.

Michael Yon's moving account of a visit with a village elder shows that people are people no matter what they believe.
His grandchildren gathered around him, peeking at me from behind his weathered arms. He seemed unaware of the slight smile that eased across his face whenever he looked at the children. They constantly sought his approval for each small gesture of interaction with this stranger in their grandfather's home, which he granted with slight nods.

Although I had only known him for a few short hours, it was clear that Mr. Qatou liked to talk about the future.

"My life is nearly finished," he said, almost wistfully. "But will be good for my children and my children's children." Mr. Qatou smiled and disappeared into his memories briefly, then he spoke: "My life was mostly soldier and prisoner. My children are free."

No comments: