Monday, January 05, 2009

Twitter Tag Meme - Yak Shaving Razors

Today my postcard-sending pal Tojosan got tired of the "Several Things About Me" Twitter-tag meme that's been going around. He asked for a more useful topic. I replied, "OK, how's this: List five useful things you know that others might find useful, but might not know. #yakshavingrazors"

Yak Shaving Razors?!?!! Say WHAT?

Yes, Yak Shaving Razors. The term isn't my own, I first ran across it years ago on Joe Carter's old Evangelical Outpost blog. Yak-shaving is something that you have to do in order to do the thing that you actually need to do. For example, I want to move a study desk from the garage into the boys' room. But before I can do that, I have to clear out the back of the van. Why? Because the desk is going where the dresser is now, and the dresser is going to move into the closet, where the old TV is now, and there's a bunch of recycling int he back of the van where I plan to put the TV to take it to get it fixed so it can be used as a dedicated game console... you see where this is going?

So a Yak Shaving Razor is a tool or a tidbit of information that helps you get things done.

With that introduction out of the way, here's my list of Yak Razors.... dang. Lookit the time. I need to call in an order of Chinese takeout so we can eat before taking the kid to basketball practice...

Hey, who let that yak in here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My yak-shavings, in no particular order:
1) Deliver the wife's computer to get power supply fixed. Which in turn gets her off of my iMac. Which gets her out of my office. Which lets me move down there to be on the MBP vs the kitchen. Which let's us free up the kitchen table again. wheh.
2) Empty all of the bags around the house. WHich will in turn let us figure out what we've actually purchased over the last two weeks. Which will allow us to put away and organize many stuffs. WHich in turn will remove it from the back room. Which will let us again use the back room. WHeh again.

Okay, I'm beat, but I hope this fits the bill.

Yours,
Tojosan

SkyDaddy said...

Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind (the fault surely being mine), but it's amusing, revealing, and reassuring nonetheless. I'm really glad I'm not the only one with unusable kitchen tables and back rooms! :-)

Anonymous said...

I got tired just reading this.