Monday, May 23, 2005

Episode III - on second viewing

After some deliberation (and no small amount of effort on his part) I took my son to Revenge of the Sith this weekend. He was of course vibrating with excitement. It was a lot of fun to watch him watch the opening.

It's a better movie the second time around. Much better, actually. Most of the emotional "stuff" mostly works, now that I look at it again. And knowing that it's coming, I can play the lines that annoyed me last time in context (they're STILL contradictory).

The only really flat spot was the too-sudden turn of Anakin to the Dark Side. I just don't buy the transition from, "What have I done?!?" to, "I dedicate myself to your teaching." We also don't see Anakin "growing in power," as he tells Padme' he is.

Oh, I noticed that Jar-Jar appears twice, not just once. Dang.

And I missed the Millenium Falcon's cameo. Guess I'll have to go see it again. (I am SUCH a sucker!)

No comments: